May 30th, 2008
Now for something completely different!
Obviously we all remember that dress wot I started ages ago ( linky for those new to my LJ or forgetful, or not paying attention at the time or etc. etc. Progress has been made!
So now we get to enjoy poorly taken photographs, because my photography skills are much much less good than my sewing skills.
Anyway; first up lets pretend the dress is done (ha ha), here it is all laid out on my bed except for the underskirt. However the sleeves are pinned on where they will eventually be tied in place. The scraps of paper to the side are "R" and "L" labels for the sleeves, so I don't get confused as to which is which.
Next, the outer skirt. This actually is finished, although it needs to have rings tied to it on the inside to hitch it up into a bustle-like shape, but I'll leave that until the underskirt is done. It's very long; that wardrobe it is hanging from is taller than me (also you can see the mess that is my room, anyway, moving swiftly on...)
This is the bodice. Which is mostly finished but needs binding around the edges and a modesty panel at the center front. The armscye and top I'm going to do in the purple silk, I have black binding for the tabs (which are going to be fiddly but never actually seen, as they go under the skirt). You can just about see the fancy layered effect with the lace at the front (but the flash was too bright, oops). I think the pattern wants the eyelets for the shoulders to actually be aligned with each other rather than with lotsa ribbon there, but it really doesn't fit if I do that! And the dress is going to have tied on sleeves anyway. If I make this pattern again I shall have to remember to make the shoulder bits longer!
You can just see the inside at the top - the black lines are stitching lines to hold boning (reed) in place, they don't go through to the purple silk though, you can only see them on the inside.
The whole thing was a huge, ugly mess until I actually got the lining attached to the fabric and it all turned right way out, now it mostly looks great apart from the undone binding. So I'm pretty happy with that. Plus it fits, it's a little longer in the body than I might have liked but I'll cope (I need to work out how to fix that in the pattern really, for future reference)
Sleeves next! The sleeves are nearly done, just need binding at the top and ribbons attaching to tie them to the bodice. These are huge pooofy sleeves, which is great. I think maybe some wider/nicer lace would have been good but it is very expensive so I decided against it.
The underskirt has progressed, you can see the new-since-last-time flowers in this picture. I've forgotten what some of them are; one of the blue ones in flax, the red is scarlet pimpernel and the white one under my embroidery hoop is a snowdrop, the finished pale pink is dog rose.
I'm trying to learn to spin. Here is some yarn I spun, some still on spindle. I'm bad at this at the moment, although a lot better than I *was* when I started.
I'm making a big fwuffy jumper out of some wool lark_ascending had and didn't want; it has sleeves
and about half a front (some of you may have seen it with the finished-but-mistake-filled front - I ripped that out because it was bugging me)
Some may question the wisdom of doing cables in bulky wool of many-colours, but me, I'm MAD. I think it looks nice in person, except that the colour of the front is kinda horrid really. Maybe it will be the back (not enough wool to do the front in the same colour).
I'm making myself some kilt socks, one sock down, one to go (cast on and started).
Also I bought this silk yarn, about 100 yards, Aran weight. What shall I do with it? Isn't it very pretty? Mum thinks I shouldn't by yarn just because it looks nice... but! but! PRETTY!
Awesome dress is awesome!
|Date:||June 2nd, 2008 10:16 am (UTC)|| |
|Date:||May 31st, 2008 06:53 am (UTC)|| |
Wow dress! Is the plan that we see it at the veizla, or is this a Long Term project?
Good heavens! That looks amazing.
Epic sewing project is epic. I love that feeling when you finally start hiding the raw edges and suddenly it looks like clothes.
I think you should make the silk yarn into a light cardigan for summer evenings at the pub, if there is enough. (I cannot remember how much you need for a cardigan.)
|Date:||June 2nd, 2008 10:17 am (UTC)|| |
epic> yeah, a bit.
I think a cardigan might need more than I've got. Although I checked and actually I mistyped it's 100g not 100 yards so more like 200 yards but most shrug things need lots. Maybe what I'll do is use this stuff to trim something made in more boring (cheap!) yarn.
Still love your embroidery (the dress is pretty darn wow too).
Oh, wow. I did not know you can dot that. It is beautiful and amazing better than the staff you buy in shops.